100 Miles for Leukemia

A summary of how my training is going for the Team In Training fundraiser for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I am biking 100 miles in early June out in Lake Tahoe, NV.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

T-Minus...What Time is it?

Gentlemen and ladies – after these many months of consistent and uninterrupted idiocy that I hope has entertained you, we have nearly reached the end of your protagonist’s training (I still need to raise another $638, so the fundraising will go on).

Tomorrow, Jessie and I will be off to scenic Lake Tahoe, NV. And a day or so later (I really have to read that iternerary some time soon) I will get on that orange Cannondale and stay on it through hill and valley, from morning until afternoon to ride the 108 miles that I have trained and pledged to do for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Here at the end of training, I can say that I have the distinct pleasure in getting to know a spectacular group of people who have brought so much energy and enthusiasm to this effort to make the days when my feet were numb with cold and soaked to the bone almost bearable. Some are survivors of the maladies themselves, others are relatives and friends and other still just want to help a good cause, and this certainly qualifies.

Besides the 40 or so folks (and I wish I knew them all a bit better), the group was guided by the wise and unwavering hand of our coaches and mentors. I confess that I knew nothing about road biking before I started. In fact, I had not been on a road bike since Junior High. My first ride, I had to stop other participants to ask them how the shifters worked. But Hilarie, Dwight, Hans and all the rest always put me back on the path.

The mentors like Diana were also welcome beacons of encouragement and support since I got involved back in December (it seems so much longer). Their help has been immeasurable in this long climb to get ready for Tahoe.

To keep up the cardio, I have spent the last few mornings on my mountain bike, which has been gathering dust in my shed. Having spent so much time on the road bike, this knobby tired behemoth felt like climbing aboard a rhino after so many months atop a thoroughbred. (For the curious, the fastest I’ve been able to go is 44 mph, and I intend to top that in Tahoe.)

So, soon the reason for all the training will be realized. Though I imagine somewhere at mile 50 of so at 6,000 feet above sea level, I will wish I had trained harder. But it’s too late for that talk.

What’s not too late – Making a donation. Yes, if you’ve been reading along and have been meaning to pitch in, now is an excellent time to make good on that pledge. (there's a link off to the right)

I’ve given up nearly every weekend since the winter and put up with cold and heat and sunburn, rashes and chafing and the kind of soreness that I'd just as soon not discuss. I’ve logged likely 2,000 miles to get ready for this. I am ready. All I need is for a few more of you to make a few clicks of the mouse so I can meet my goal.

Thanks and wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home